Your gums are an important part of your smile and can significantly impact both your self-esteem and overall oral health. Therefore, receiving a gum disease diagnosis can be physically and emotionally painful. Management of gum disease is of the utmost importance so that there are no repercussions from it. For more information on gum disease treatment and managing it properly, contact Justin Raanan’s team today. As a top Beverly Hills periodontist, Dr. Raanan is no stranger to treating even the most severe cases of gum disease.
Why is it Important to Manage your Gum Disease?
Gum disease is fairly common. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, half of Americans over 30 have a form of gum disease. With such high statistics among Americans, many adults want to write it off as not important or not take the necessary steps it takes to manage the condition properly. However, gum disease can affect more than just your gums. In fact, Harvard Health Publishing recently sited that gum disease is associated with an increased risk of tooth loss, diabetes, and other serious health concerns. With such drastic conditions connected with it, it is crucial to take gum disease treatment seriously.
How to Manage Gum Disease
Staying on top of your gum disease treatment is crucial to the health of both your gums and teeth. However, it can be difficult to know where to begin if this is the first time you’ve had to worry about healthy gums. The first step in effective management is scheduling a thorough cleaning. Not only will this give your gums a professional cleaning, but it will also get rid of plaque that builds up over time. From there, Dr. Raanan will be able to advise what the next best step is. You may be advised to continue regular check-ups in the beginning stages or may have to take medication in more serious cases. To try and catch gum disease in the early stages or before negatively progresses, contact Justin Raanan’s team today to schedule an examination.
Fortunately, there are preventative measures that can be taken to avoid dealing with the pain associated with gum disease.
- Brush and floss– First step is to make sure to prioritize regular brushing and flossing. This will remove debris that gets caught in between your teeth or stuck on your teeth.
- Avoid smoking– Another preventative measure is to avoid unhealthy habits like smoking. Reputable sources, like the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, sites that smoking is a leading cause of severe gum disease.
- Avoid excess candy– Candy, and other sweets, have sugar that can stick to your teeth and cause cavities and other dental issues. Take preventative measures to limit your sugar intake and brush immediately after consumption.
- Maintain a healthy diet– In the same line of thought, maintaining a healthy diet is crucial to preventing gum disease. This means lots of vegetables and plenty of water throughout the day.
- Regular dental check-ups– Visits to the professionals are a must in preventing gum disease. This is crucial because they will be able to assess any warning signs and remove stubborn and built-up plaque.
Since the list of preventative measures is not limited to this list, it is important to talk to Dr. Raanan about what you can do specifically.
Although there are steps Dr. Raanan can take towards gum disease treatment, it is important to do your part as well. Effective gum management on your end includes preventative measuring or taking measuring to not make the condition worse. It also means sticking to your regular checkups and on top of what Dr. Raanan advises you to do. For more information on gum disease treatment and managing the condition properly, contact Justin Raanan today!